The Office of the Vice-President, Students actively supports UBC’s Place and Promise strategic goals through a commitment to an exceptional student experience that supports and enhances the learning and academic experience of our students. An exceptional student experience is a supportive and inclusive environment, on a dynamic, vibrant campus, where students can achieve their full potential and are connected to their communities and the world. Working in partnership across the University, the Vice-President, Students portfolio is a key contributor to UBC’s student learning, community engagement, intercultural understanding and international engagement commitments. The VPS leads on a number of actions and initiatives that ensure the University delivers on its commitments, including:
- Developing wellbeing as a strategic foundation for UBC success, and ensuring there are appropriate services, programs and initiatives to support student wellbeing.
- Creating a safe, welcoming and inclusive campus through implementation of the VPS actions within Renewing Commitment to Equity and Diversity, and operationalization of the Campus Safety Working Group.
- Championing an excellent campus life for students and the entire UBC community by providing services for day-to-day life and delivering varsity, recreation, orientations and other programs that builds school spirit and social connection.
- Facilitating opportunities for experiential learning and leadership development in support of students’ preparation for career success, future studies, and global citizenship that advances a civil and sustainable society.
- Providing data collected through assessment and consultation to faculties and units to assess progress on key aspects of student learning and the overall student experience.
- Supporting access to the University and ensuring students have a voice in key decisions made by the University by effectively enacting Policies 71 and 72, and engaging the Elected Student Leadership through partnerships and ongoing consultation.
- Providing housing and residence life programs that build community and support for students living in residence.
- Delivering parking, security and bookstore services in support of the community.
These responsibilities are met through our portfolio program and service units, which, collectively and in partnership with other university units, provide leadership in supporting and enriching the UBC student experience.
Athletics & Recreation (A&R)
Athletics & Recreation’s mission is to engage the UBC community in outstanding sport and recreation experiences, to enable UBC athletes to excel at the highest levels, and to inspire school spirit and personal wellbeing through physical activity, involvement and fun. Our goals are to increase participation, deliver excellence on the national and world stage, build school spirit, nurture a strong sense of community and cultivate an inspired workplace. We work to achieve these goals by investing in partnerships, leveraging resources, and aligning with other UBC units and organizations.
In early-December 2015, the Board of Governors reviewed and approved a strategic framework for UBC Athletics.
Student Development & Services (SD&S)
Student Development & Services (SD&S) works in partnership with faculties and other campus service providers to offer a range of opportunities and services that positively impact students’ experiences and assist in their ability to learn and prepare themselves for engagement in the university, community, industry and workplaces.
SD&S facilitates a variety of enriched educational experiences, offers programming to support student mental health and wellbeing and works collaboratively across the university to create an engaging and inclusive learning environment.
Access & Diversity
Centre for Community Engaged Learning
Centre for Student Involvement & Careers
Student Health Services
International Student Development
Strategic Initiatives & Special Projects
Carol Naylor & Patty Hambler
Student Communications Services
Student Conduct & Safety
Student Housing & Hospitality Services (SHHS)
Student Housing & Hospitality Services (SHHS) provides accommodation for more than 9,000 students in 12 residences at UBC’s Point Grey campus. Our goal is to provide an environment that helps students succeed both academically and socially. SHHS also oversees operations for UBC Food Services, UBC Conferences and Accommodations, and UBC Childcare:
University Community Services (UCS)
The five units within University Community Services (UCS) are focused on providing positive customer experiences to support a caring, accessible and inclusive campus community. They include:
Student Experience Evaluation & Research (SEER)
The Student Experience Evaluation & Research team (SEER) aims to engage students and provide the necessary data and support to decision-makers. SEER supports the university community through:
- The development, administration, analysis and reporting of central student surveys on UBCV campus
- Support for occasional surveys for faculties of administrative units
- Supporting student consultation, with an emphasis on the tuition consultation process
- Undertaking student experience research as it aligns with strategic initiatives (e.g. flexible learning, wellbeing)
- The development of outcomes-based evaluation and performance frameworks for VPS
- Data, evaluation and research support to VPS programs and services
Over the school year students have the opportunity to provide feedback via the Undergraduate Experience Survey (UES), New to UBC survey (NUBC) or a number of program- and course-related surveys. The SEER team consists of two dedicated Research Analysts and a Director.